The Tinneny Family History Site


Biographies of our Forefathers

Edward D McColgan H86


Copy of Ed’s original birth certificate. According to the certificate his middle name at birth was registered as “Donnelly”. Throughout his life he used the middle name “Dominic” which was probably a Confirmation name which he received when he was confirmed at Holy Family Church. Also note that he is listed as a “female on the certificate.  Certificate courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Ed’s mother died in 1914 when he was 4 years old. In an attempt to take care of Ed and his sisters, his father brought his sister Isabella over from Scotland to help but that didn't work out and the children were placed in orphanages.  The children were removed from the orphanages by their Uncle Johnny Tinneny and, James Tinneny, who parceled them out to their aunts and uncles to raise.

A copy of Ed’s birth registration issued in July 1930 probably for enlistment later that year in the United States Navy. His mother’s name is misspelled Tinnery vs. Tinneny. Also note the recruiting officer’s certification of the document. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth

Photo: Ed center with his older brother John (Left) and his uncle Patrick Tinneny on his (Right) about 1911. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Photo: The McColgan home Pennsauken, New Jersey. Ed’s parents, him (probably seated front right) and his siblings. Courtesy of Joyce Roff.

Ed was taken in and raised by his mother’s brother Jim Tinneny and his wife Gert. He can be found living with them on both the 1920 and 1930 Census of The United States. Although Jim and Gert had a large family they raised Ed as one of their own after removing him from the orphanage following the death of his mother. When he was in his teens, Ed told his Uncle Jim that he wanted to change his name from McColgan to Tinneny. Jim told him that he wouldn’t consider that because “every man should have his own name.” Ed attended Holy Family School in Manayunk up to the 10th grade.

United States Census, 1920 for James Tinneny Family



Relationship to Head of Household:






Marital Status:


Father's Birthplace:


Mother's Birthplace:


Film Number:


Digital Folder Number:


Image Number:


Sheet Number:







James Tinneny




Gertrude A Tinneny




James Tinneny




Mary Tinneny




Claire Tinneny




John Tinneny




Joseph Tinneny




Gertrude Tinneny




Edward Mccolgan




Thomas Trovers



United States Census, 1930 for James Tinneny Family
James J. Tinneny        41    Head of Household
Gertrude Tinneny         39     Spouse
James Tinneny            19     Son

Mary Tinneny               17     Daughter

Clare Tinneny              16    Daughter

John Tinneny               14    Son

Joseph Tinneny           13     Son
Gertrude Tinneny         11     Daughter
Thomas Tinneny           7      Son
William Tinneny            4      Son
Edward McColgan        20    Nephew

Ed’s first job after leaving school was as a butcher’s assistant. He then worked at Midvale Steele and Ordinance Company in Philadelphia from 1928 until he entered the U. S. Navy for what turned out to be a nearly 23 year distinguished active duty career during which he sailed all over the world.

As described on his nephew Joe McColgan’s website:

"Ed enjoyed sports, as a young man he and his brother John belonged to the Milo Athletic Club in Roxborough. Ed played football on the club team. His brother John remembered playing football against a team from the Frankford section of Philadelphia. The Frankford team was bigger and rougher than the Milo team. According to John, Ed and several other members of the Milo team ended up in the hospital with injuries from the game. Ed was probably an average football player at best, but he excelled as a boxer participating in Golden Glove events.
In 1930, Ed joined the US Navy. What motivated him to join the Navy? There are at least two versions of the story. His sister Pat said that he was sweet on a certain young lady, but she did not return his affections. Heartbroken he decided to join the Navy. According to his son Brian, Ed joined the Navy to escape the mob. It seems that certain figures in organized crime wanted Ed to throw a boxing match, so that they could benefit from a fixed fight by betting against him. Ed would not co-operate--cheating was against his principles. The mob threatened him and he escaped by joining the US Navy.”

Photo: Ed as a young sailor. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Ed entered the Navy as an apprentice seaman on October 1, 1930 for a four-year tour of duty. Following basic training he completed the Machinist’s Mates trade school at the Navy Base, Hampton Roads, Virginia on December 29, 1930

“Ed’s first assignment was as a submariner in the Asian Fleet. According to his son, Brian, Ed’s submarine became stuck on the bottom during underwater maneuvers; this experience left Ed with the feeling that he would have a very short future. Ed requested reassignment and found himself serving on the crew of a destroyer. He served on destroyers for most of his naval career. The Asian fleet was eventually merged with the Pacific fleet, which was based in Hawaii. When the Pearl Harbor attack occurred, Ed’s ship was at sea, so he missed the opening shots of the war. But he was present at the end; his ship was anchored in Tokyo harbor and Ed witnessed the Japanese surrender ceremony.” (From the McColgan website.)


Ed’s Certificate of Graduation from the Machinist’s Mates School at Hampton Roads, Norfolk, Virginia, 25 September 25, 1931. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Certificate awarded to Ed when he completed requirements for his Machinist’s Mate rating in July, 1932. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Ed’s certificate awarded in 1932 for of completion for the Navy Training Course - Fireman Second Class. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

During his naval service, Ed continued his interest in boxing, fighting in various Navy matches.


Photo: Ed in boxing stance while in the Navy. Courtesy of the McColgan website.











Ed's Discharge Cert 1936 p 1, Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

During his initial tour of duty he appeared to have taken a real affinity for tattoos. By the time he reenlisted for the first time, on November 4, 1936 aboard the U.S.S. Canopus in Hong Kong, he had acquired the following tattoos: a “Flag, flower, MEB” right upper arm; “USN and anchor”, right forearm; “Haiti, Panama, Honolulu, Guam, Manila, Hong Kong, Amoy, Shanghai, Tsingtao” on his right forearm. Tattoo of a woman’s head on his left shoulder, tattoo of a bird on his left arm. His reenlistment certificate described Ed as being 5ft 8 1/2 inches in height with a weight of 145 pounds with light brown hair, a ruddy complexion and blue eyes. During his initial tour he had served aboard the U.S.S. Canopus and one other vessel.

Ed's Discharge Cert 1936 p 2, Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

At one point in the 1930s, Ed's ship was stationed in China. During that time his cousin, Jack Tinneny [Rich Tinneny’s father], with whom Ed was raised, was also stationed in China with the United States Marine Corps. Many years later, Jack would tell of the time when they were stationed in China that he went to visit Ed on his ship. By then Ed had progressed in rank while Jack was only a private. Jack recalled how the sailors at first gave him a hard time about coming aboard the ship and questioned him strongly about what business a marine private had with petty officer McColgan. When Jack told them that Ed was his brother all of the ship was open to him and the two cousins had a wonderful visit.While Ed was in China he met and married Catherine Pereleshina. Catherine was a white Russian. The couple had three children Edward Dominic Jr., Eugenia “Jeanne”, and Catherine. Ed and Catherine subsequently divorced and Catherine and the children remained in California. Ed continued his career in the Navy.

Following are several letters that Ed wrote to his older brother John McColgan while Ed was serving in the Navy. The reader, at least I did, gets a real sense of closeness between the two brothers even though they were separated by great distance and for a long time. I have taken the liberty of adjusting some punctuation and spelling for clarity. These letters are included with permission of Ed’s brother John McColgan who provided me with copies.

Photo: Ed and his brother John McColgan. Courtesy of the McColgan website.

The first of these letters Ed wrote to John from the Panama Canal Zone. He prefaced his salutation to John with a comment about the hot weather in the area. He then told of his trip from the east coast to San Francisco, California and his impression to that point. He really seemed impressed by the super buys that he found in Haiti on “real” beer and whiskey.

Nov. 23, 1931
Balboa, Canal Zone
and hot as hell

Dear Duke:-

How is everything up in the hills now, boy you sure will have to travel around a bit to catch up with your kid brother; for let me tell you lad I’m seeing things now and liking it, the first port we made after leaving the states was Port-au-Prince on the island of Haiti and what people, they still hunt heads up in the mountains so they made us stay aboard ship. Then we stopped at Colon in the Canal Zone on the Atlantic side. Then through the canal and now at Balboa on the Pacific side and I sure did enjoy it. Boy you ought to join this outfit and go to China. The next stop is at Nicaragua then Covinto then up the west coast to San Diego, San Pedro, then Frisco to spend Christmas and New Years, what a time. Boy, maybe it isn’t nice down here. You go ashore and walk into a saloon and order up a glass of beer, real beer, or a shot of rum or whiskey and boy it sure is cheap and good. I bought a quart of Johnnie Walker Black Label whiskey in Port-au-Prince and I’m saving it for Frisco and Christmas if I can get it back into the States again.

Well let’s hear from you soon. Give my regards to all the family.

See you sometimes or in a couple of years.

The Kid
PS My future address is
USS Chaumont
E Division
C/O Postmaster
San Diego

On March 31, 1935 Ed sent John a letter from Manila. He talked of his years of service over seas and of becoming a “foreigner”. He told his brother of the different foreign countries he was traveling and working in and even suggested that John may wish considering traveling to the orient.


Submarine Squadron Five
U. S. Asiatic Fleet
U.S. S.S.-39
Manila P.I.
March 31.1935

Dear Duke:-

How are you “Duke”? I hope [you are] doing good in business. Don’t think too hard of me for not writing oftener than I do. You must realize how I detest letter writing. I think of you just as much and brag about you more. I have these sailors thinking that there’s not another guy in the world like my big brother. I show them all your pictures and they think you’re a great guy just like they would want to be. You know, all that outdoor stuff camping, fishing and hunting.

Talking about camping. I’ll guess you will be taking a trip pretty soon now and sure would like to be with you. Just as much as you would like to be with me out here in China. Do you ever think about traveling like this China, Japan, Manchuria, the Philippines, Guam, Honolulu, Australia and the rest of these places I’ve been to. They are alright but I think I would prefer being back in the good old U.S.A. but somehow or other I just can’t seem to leave the place out here. The spell of the orient, as Kipling so aptly put it, has got me I guess. But, I think this will be my last year over here and once I am on a transport and heading for home I guess I’ll be glad as hell to get away from here. It will be five years in the place. I’m almost a foreigner. I can talk pretty fair Russian, a little Chinese and Japanese and am quite proficient in Tagalog, the main dialect of the Philippines. Well Duke, write me a letter and let me know how things are doing. Hoping to hear from you soon. I am.

Your Brother

On June 20, 1935 Ed posted a letter from the U.S.S Canopus, which was serving in China at the time, to his brother John who was living at 4519 1/2 Ritchie Street in the Manayunk section of Philadelphia. Ed had met and decided to marry and asked John to go to New Jersey and get a copy of his birth certificate and to send it to him.

Submarine Squadron Five
U.S. Asiatic Fleet
Tsingtao China
June 19 –35

Dear Duke:-

How is everything going back in the old hometown? Is the depression over yet? How are you making out in the plumbing business, successfully I hope? Is the old Milo A.C. still going strong? Someday I will come back and apply for membership if it is. Have you made any camping trip this summer yet? I sure would like to go on one – wake up in the morning without the aid of a bugler or Master-at-Arms. That sure would be swell. How are the old gang making out. Jim Drennen, Walt Cannon, Joe Brecht, Joe Ballisty and Johnny Gray too. Tell them I was asking for them. Any of them married yet or about to be. How about you? Has any woman gotten her clutches on you yet? As I remember you never had much time for them as a whole. But, I’ll bet when you do get one she will have to be pretty damn near perfect. Well, you deserve the best. I hope you get all you deserve.

Now I have some news for you. I’m going to be married to a little Russian girl, a very sweet one take it from me. But I need your cooperation.

I think I will have to have a birth certificate. Will you do me a big favor and go to Camden City Hall and get me one and have it certified by a notary Public and send it to me just as fast as you can. I have to have it as soon as possible so that I can be married before the ship goes back to Manila in September or else I will have to wait until next year and I don’t want to do that. So if you still love this reprobate brother of yours you will waste as little time as possible and earn my gratitude. Also my wife-to-be’s. She is a very sweet kid born in Russia she came to China with her parents when she was still a child. She was raised in a French convent in Tientsin China and is very well educated and I love her very much so please hurry.

Give my love to every one and write to me soon.

The Kid

Info you may need
Edward Dominic McColgan Jan 15-1910, Camden, N. J.

Ed’s wife to be was Catherine Pereleshina. She was born November 14, 1916 at Blagoveshchensk, Union of Soviet Socialists Republics (USSR). Catherine’s parents were Abraam Lukich Pereleshin and her mother was Elena Georgieuna Pereleshina. Catherine moved to China with her parents in 1922. She and Ed married in China on October 11, 1935. She entered the United States aboard the vessel SS President Coolidge on January 5, 1939 at the port of San Francisco, California. On April 14, 1945, Catherine became a United States Citizen. The Superior Court at San Diego issued her citizenship certificate, No. 6382889, on April 14, 1945.

Photos: Catherine “Kitty” Pereleshina and her mother, Elena Georgieuna Pereleshina.

Courtesy of Helen Tinneny.

Manila P.I.

Dear Duke:-

At last I’m taking time out to write you. I guess you think I’m a washout as a brother and a pretty ungrateful sort of a guy but I’m not. At least I’ll try not to be. So first I want to take this opportunity to thank you for getting me those legal papers. If it hadn’t been for your speedy cooperation I would still be single and unhappy. But as it is I’m staid old Benedict and enjoying life as I never enjoyed it before. You know it’s a great feeling to go ashore at the end of a day’s work and grab a rickshaw to ride home and know that there is someone waiting there to see you come home, and who depends on you and no one else, just to realize that her whole life and well being is built around you, and that if you fail her it makes you stop and think. While before you take any foolish chances.

It’s just about what I needed, to settle me down and now I would like to be out of the navy and settled down ashore somewhere with a solid substantial home, instead of an apartment in Shanghai for a month and then one in Tsingtao for 6 months then in Manila for 5 more months and the constant cost of transporting your wife from place to place but I’m afraid to quit the navy now. I don’t trust the outside. I probably couldn’t get a descent job anyway, and I would probably get a small paying job, if I did get one. My pay now is 20.00 a week or 80.00 a month, and I don’t think wages on the outside quite come up to that. Do they? Maybe you could give me a little advice on this subject. What do you think is best if I stay in the Navy after this year I have to re-enlist for four more years and that will make 10 and that’s a lot of time to throw away? It’s half of my retirement time. I only have to put in 20 years and I retire with about 60.00 a month for the rest of my life.

I am now a Machinist Mate Second Class (MM2/C) and I take the exams for first class this year. If I pass it means $12.00 a month more which will bring my pay to (??) a month. I think I’d better stay in the Navy. Don’t you?

Well how are things going with you? Is business picking up any? How is the romance between Marie Beck coming along? When are you going to follow in Isabel’s and my footsteps? It’s a great institution marriage. Say Duke, I had a couple of arguments with some of these hillbilly sailors about weight lifting. Especially the Jefferson’s lift and the back bridge and dead lift. If you can get hold of any a B.B.M. pamphlets with world records in lifting I’d sure appreciate it if you would send them to me.

How’s the old Milo making out? Still going strong I hope. I’ve quit all my athletics. Three years in a row I’ve had my hands on that Asiatic Fleet belt but lost in the last fight every time. I got stopped (TKO) in the 4th round so I guess I’m getting old. Oh well, I have enough medals and cups and runner up belts anyway. I still play soccer but we lost the championship this year. Say hello to the gang, if any of them still remember me.

Love from my wife Good Luck Duke

Write soon

The Kid
P.S. How about sending me a letter by the new clipper ship air mail. My wife saves stamps and I’d like to get one with this cancellation on it.

On June 12, 1939 Ed sent his brother John a letter from his new home in California. Ed had returned with his wife and daughter from the orient for about six months. The family was living at 1728 Island Avenue, San Diego, California and his brother John and his wife Marie and daughter were living at7367 Manayunk Avenue in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia. In the letter Ed reaffirms his feelings for China and his ties to Philadelphia and friends and family there.

San Diego, Calif.
June 11-1939

Dear Duke:-

Well Duke, it’s been a long time since I’ve written to you. I hope this finds you & Marie and Joan all in the best of health. We are all doing well out here in California. We have been back from China only a few months. We arrived in January this year and the States sure does seem odd to me after almost eight years in China.

I was around on the east coast for fleet maneuvers and expected to visit the New York World’s Fair for three weeks and I had arranged for ten days leave to come to Philadelphia to see you all but they changed our orders and we returned here to the west coast. I got only as far north as Gulfport, Miss. and Panama City, Florida.

I don’t know when I will be able to get east for a visit but I am trying to get duty in the Phila. Navy Yard putting a new ship in commission when I ship over next year and possibly move around to Philly.

I don’t think much of the Navy back here in the States. It is better duty in the Orient and I guess if it hadn’t of got tired of ducking shells & bombs I would have stayed there for another year at least. Maybe some day I will go back to my China (I sure do like the place) if the Japs ever get out of there and stay out.

If I don’t get the duty I like next year I might go then for a couple of years until little Kitty is old enough to go to school. Then I will have to return and send her to school here in the States. Maybe after being back here a year I won’t want to go back to China but right now I do.

I don’t like the west coast. I guess if I was east I would be more at home, especially back in Phila. I sure would like to see what the old Quaker City looks like now.

How is the plumbing business doing? Have you still got your own shop? Give my regards to any of the old gang from the club you may see and say hello to Jim Drennen for me.

Kitty and baby and I send our best to you & Marie & Joan. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Your Bro.
U.S.S. Dale (353)
San Diego or 1728 Island Ave.
Calif. San Diego, Calif.

Ed's Discharge September 1940 p 1, Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Ed's Discharge 1940 p 2, Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.


Ed reenlisted for the second time on September 11, 1940 aboard the U.S.S. Dale at Mare Island, California. By that time he had been promoted to Machinist Mate First Class and during his second tour he had served aboard the U.S.S. Canopus, U.S.S. Blackhawk, U.S.S. Pillsbury, U.S.S. Chaumont, and the U.S.S. Dale. During that tour of duty he also served at the Recruiting Station in San Francisco. The record showed that by this time he was married and indicated that he had acquired no more tattoos.

Ed Served aboard the U.S.S, HENRY WILEY in a heroic battle against Japanese forces from March 23 to June 24, 1945. Their crew fought off 51 enemy planes and shot down 12 Japanese planes and assisted in shooting down 3 other aircraft. For these heroic actions involving the entire crew of the ship the Presidential Unit Citation was awarded to the ship and its crew, including Ed.



Ed’s copy of the Presidential Unit Citation which was awarded to the U.S.S. HENRY A. WILEY and its crew, including Ed, for heroic action in a major battle off the island of Okinawa. p 1, Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Presidential Unit Citation which was awarded to the U.S.S. HENRY A. WILEY and its crew, including Ed, for heroic action in a major battle off the island of Okinawa.  p 2, Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Ed was aboard one of the American ships that participated in the Japanese surrender ceremony which occurred on the deck of the U.S.S. Missouri in Tokyo Bay on September 2, 1945.

A copy of the Japanese surrender instrument given to Ed who was a witness to the event on a US military vessel near the U.S.S. Missouri on September 2, 1945. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Following the war, Ed completed the Materiel Preservation Course and the Philadelphia Navy Base which gave him a good opportunity to spend some time with friends and his family.

Completion certificate Materiel Preservation Course courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Ed's Discharge Certificate September 1948 p 1 Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Ed's Discharge Certificate September 1948 p 2 Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Catherine Pereleshina and Ed in China. Courtesy of Ed McColgan, Jr.

Ed, Kitty and their daughter Kitty.

Ed with his daughter Kitty dressed in a Kimono.


Ed's daughter Kitty dressed in a grass skirt.

Ed and Kitty’s children Ed. Jr. (Age 7) and Jeannie
(Age 14). Courtesy of Ed. McColgan Jr.




Photo: Ed’s children Jeannie and Ed with their maternal grandmother, Georgieuna Pereleshina, in California about 1951. Courtesy of Ed McColgan Jr.

Kitty and her daughter Kitty in Hawaii

Kitty with daughter Kitty and Aunt Jenny

Photo: Catherine Trapp courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Photo: Ed and Catherine on their wedding day courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.


Ed and Kitty had three children Catherine was born in Shanghai, China, Edward D. McColgan Jr. born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Eugenia Donna born in Lafayette, Indiana. By 1950 Ed and Kitty had divorced.

A mutual friend introduced Ed to Catherine Mary (Cassie) Trapp in a bar in Baltimore, Maryland. Ed was on shore leave and Catherine was there with one of her friends. They were married August 5, 1950. The sponsors at their wedding were Marion and Marvin Severson who were friends. Cassie had two children Dennis and Elizabeth who Ed and Cassie raised in their home at 2317 Foster Avenue in Parkville, Maryland. Ed and Cassie then had two children Deborah and Brian.

Photo : Ed and Cassie’s wedding (L-R) Marvin Severson, Ed, Catherine, and Marion Severson. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.










The following are extracts from some of Ed’s letters home to Cassie during the Korean War 1950-53. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth

June 1, 1951: Letter to Cassie from the west coast.

“ … We have arrived in the states ... a slow trip … waiting to see you and the kids so much made every day seem like a year.” He said that he was “going to get 10 days of leave but had to go to the hospital first for a check-up on his kidneys and if they don’t find something he should be home the following week, Sunday June 24th.” He cautioned her, “You will be very surprised when you see me. I have been a lot sicker then the doctors realized and this type duty is far too much for me.  The terrific heat down South of the Marshall Island area just seemed to sap all my strength and it didn’t do my kidneys any good.”  He went on to say how the trip to the hospital was very necessary and he suspects that after the examination the doctor may force a transfer to a cooler climate, hopefully near Baltimore. He said he was hoping for that “so that we will be able to live like a real family.” Note: Ed had lost part of his kidney which resulted in chronic kidney problems.

He then expressed some thoughts about the Korean War, “If only they will be able to do something about this Korean situation so that I could get out of the navy I will be happy. I don’t know what kind of namby-pamby’s they have in congress today. It seems to me this commuting back and forth across the 38th parallel would get monotonous – even to people just reading about it.

July 5, 1952: Letter to Cassie written aboard his ship, the USS Walker. 

 “We are stationed on the front bomb lines off the Korean coast. We have been here most of the time since we arrived except for a few days, when we had an all out air attack on the power plants at Suiho and Chosin. We had 4 carriers with us and they each sent off 100 planes and boy did they smear them power plants. Of course the glory boys of the Air Force sent 50 planes on the same mission and got all the credit and write-ups in the press. I think they did mention that some carrier planes were present, but who cares. I think it made the commies stop and ponder a bit and I have a funny feeling that this Police Action may end shortly. So who cares where the credit goes, just so it ends so we can all come home. Next week we will be back in Yokosuka and I will try to get up to Yokohama and get a set of dishes for you. I am working my cylinder brain trying to think of something especially nice for your birthday but so far I’ve drawn a blank. Any suggestions?”

August 25, 1952: letter to Cassie from aboard ship in the Pacific.

The ship was 12 days out of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii headed to the west coast of the United States. Ed describes an accident he had 10 days earlier and said he was in a lot of pain. The accident occurred during a typhoon when his left hand got caught in a water tight door leading out to the main deck of the vessel. The ship “took a couple tons of water aboard” that is when his hand was caught between the door and the door frame. He said his hand was “smashed badly and three fingers and a knuckle were broken and the hand was cut up badly.” In this letter he also said he was looking forward to getting back to port the following week and mentioned that he had not been in port since July. He also asked Cassie if she had received the dishes that he had sent her as a gift from the orient. As he completed the letter he asked if their young daughter Debbie (Debbie McColgan Chenoweth) was talking yet.

November 11, 1952: Letter to Cassie from a hospital on the west coast.

He was being treated for the injured left hand described in the earlier letter of August 25th. He really seemed down. He said he was getting the run around at the hospital and that he had another operation on the hand. He had requested to be transferred to the east coast but the doctor continued to delay releasing him for transfer until he felt he would be fit to travel. Ed said “I finally conned him.” and that he was going to be transferred to Bethesda Naval Hospital, which would be closer to Cassie and the children at their home in Baltimore, Maryland. He was really looking forward to the transfer and indicated he was seriously concerned about the damage to his hand. He then went on to mention “George Roberts a young marine who has a crippled right arm and as I have a crippled left arm we budded-up in all our travels (from the Pacific) so that we had the use of two arms for dressing and eating and so forth.”

During his time in the Navy, Ed served aboard many ships including the following: U.S.S. Henry A. Walker, U.S.S. Wiley, U.S.S. Northern Sound, U.S.S. Cascade, U.S.S. Canopus, U.S.S. Blackhawk, U.S.S. Pillsbury, U.S.S. Chaumont, U.S.S. Dale. He also served as a recruiter at the Navy Recruiting Station San Diego, California.

Photos: Ed in his officer’s uniform during World War II. Courtesy of his son Ed McColgan JR.

While in the Navy he completed his high school equivalency examination and went on to complete a degree in engineering from Purdue University in Indiana.

According to the certificate below Ed was separated from the United States Navy Fleet Reserve and placed in the inactive Fleet Reserve on March 25, 1952, however there is a discharge certificate below dated March 26, 1953 also addressing his separation into the inactive Fleet Reserve.   In  that document it shows that he received an honorable separation at Washington, DC. He had a total of 22 years 4 months and 3 days of active service. During that time he had spent 3 years on foreign or sea duty and rose to the enlisted rank of Chief Machinist Mate. Seven years later he was elevated to the rank of Warrant Officer 1 since he had held that rank temporarily during the Second World War.  Note:There appears to be some discrepancy among these documents with regard to the actual year (1952 or 1953) that Ed was transferred to the inactive fleet reserve.

Fleet Reserve Certificate March 1952 p 1, Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Fleet Reserve Certificate March 1952 p 2, Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Ed’s final Report of Separation issued 26 March 1953. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Among his medals and decorations were listed the Presidential Unit Citation, the Good Conduct Medal, Yangtze Service Medal, China Service Medal, American Defense Medal, “A” Clasp, American Area Campaign Medal, Asiatic Pacific and Campaign Medal with 4 stars, European-African-Middle East Area Campaign Medal, the Korean Service Medal, United Nations Ribbon and the World War II Victory Medal. On his DD Form 214 his most significant duty assignment was listed as the time he spent aboard the U.S.S. Walker (DDE-517). As part of his final pay Ed was reimbursed $2.22 to travel from Washington, DC to his home at 1469 Woodall Street in Baltimore, Maryland.

A letter from Harry S. Truman, President of the United States, commerateing and thanking Ed for his military service. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

After his retirement from the navy, Ed worked for Regal Laundry Company in Baltimore, Maryland 1953-54. He next worked as a mechanic from 1954 to 1965 with Oriole Refrigeration in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1965 he left Oriole Refrigeration to take a position as maintenance superintendent with Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, a position he held for the next 10 years.


Deborah McColgan. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth


On November 15, 1960 he received a letter from the Commandant of the Fifth Naval District, Norfolk, Virginia informing him that he had been placed on the retirement list effective October 1, 1960 as a result of completion of 30 years of service on September 30, 1960. Item 6 of that correspondence also informed him “Records indicate you held temporary officer status during World War II. Advancement on the retired list to the highest rank satisfactorily held as determined by the Secretary of the Navy will be effective without further action on your part. Thus Ed reverted from the enlisted rank that he held when he separated from the Navy on March 26, 1953 to the rank of Warrant Officer 1, which he was authorized to assume due to his war time service after reaching 30 years combined active duty and reserve service.





Letter notifying Ed of his final retirement status – that he had completed a total of 30 years of naval service. He had served 22 years,4 months and 3 days on active duty and the remainder in the inactive reserve. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

Photo: Ed and Siblings – (L to R) Ed, Isabella, Kitty, John. Courtesy of Isabella “Pat” Kemp.


Photo: Ed and Cassie in retirement. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

In retirement, Ed enjoyed reading, singing (He was a member of the American Legion Balladeers.), hunting, fishing and watching John Wayne movies. He and his family were members of Saint Ursula’s Catholic Church in Parkville, Maryland.

Photo: October 1996, Ed’s widow Cassie, with her children (L-R) Dennis Flynn, Deborah McColgan Chenoweth, Elizabeth Flynn Benton, and Brian McColgan. Courtesy of Deborah McColgan Chenoweth.

At the age of 79, Ed suffered a stroke and died in Baltimore on March 12, 1989. He was buried March 15, 1989 in Plot: A-18 10 5 at Garrison Forest Veteran’s Cemetery in Reisterstown, Baltimore County, Maryland. Cassie continued to live in the family home and she died in March 8, 2000. She was buried in the plot with Ed in on March 14, 2000.  

Edward's descendants include: His three children with his first wife Catherine "Kitty" Pereleshina. They were Edward, Catherine and Eugenia and their  McColgan, Tucker, McCain, McCann and Widmann descendants. And, Brian and Deborah from his marriage with Catherine Mary (Cassie) Trapp  and their McColgan, Tucker, Klein, Bryant and Dennis descendants.


Update January 17, 2021
Copyright  R. Tinneny,  All Rights Reserved, 2002-2021