Tinnenys of Goladuff were in the Catholic Parish of Galloon,
which is served by the present day Saint Mary's Church, in the
town of Newtownbutler. In 1996 the only Tinneny who was a
member of Saint Mary's was Peggy Tinneny McKenna. Peggy's
father Thomas Tinneny was born and raised on Goladuff. At
the time Peggy lived in Cullion, Newtownbutler, which was within
the parish boundaries.
Tinnenys on Goladuff would frequently go to Mass and other
functions at Saint Mary's by cot (boat). This was the
typical mode of transportation to church, especially in the
winter when Goladuff was cut off from land by flooding and at
other times of the year when the ground was soggy.
Saint Mary's Catholic Church, Newtownbutler.
Fitzpatrick of Derrydoon, provided a good deal of history about
the parish to John Joe McCusker for use in his book Memories of
Newtownbutler and Cannon Tom Maguire which was published by
McBrien Printing. Mr. McCusker gave permission for me to
quote and to paraphrase the portions of his book contained in
this chapter during a conversation with him in September
1994. Mr. McCusker recounted that, the origin of Saint
Mary's Parish goes back to the founding of the Galloon Monastery
by Saint Tiernach around 500 A.D. Galloon remained a
monastery for about 700 years. About 1200 A.D. it became a
parish served by a church and a parish priest. When the
Holy See in Rome assumed responsibility for the appointment of
parish priests, around 1300 A.D., the medieval documents
referred to "the parish Gallon, alias Dartray - Connins' or
Connons'. The last Parish Priest of the old medieval
parish of Galloon was Father Bernard Casey who died in
1779. Under new arrangements made about 1800, after the
death of Father Casey, Father Francis Goodwin took up residence
in Newtownbutler and the parish became known as Drumully.
By this time we know for sure that the Tinneny's were part of
the parish as evidenced by the grave marker of Thomas Tinneny of
Goladuff in Drummully Cemetery which is dated 1807. In
1955, Bishop O'Callahan decided to revert to the older form of
parish names thus the parish name reverted back to Galloon.
Francis Goodwin built the present church in 1819.
Originally the roof of the church was thatched with straw and
there was no bell or bell-tower. Since it had no
bell-tower, some of the local residents described it as looking
like a barn.
Clark, who succeeded Fr. Goodwin in 1837, was forced to flee
from the parish in 1854 for officiating at the marriage of a
Protestant girl, Ann Jones and a Catholic man named Patrick
Teague. For a priest to perform such an act in those days
was criminal in the eyes of the civil administrators and a
warrant was immediately issued for his arrest. A friendly
policeman from Lisnaskea came to Newtownbutler disguised as a
tramp and warned Father Clark of his impending capture and
possible imprisonment. This enabled the priest to make a
preparing to write his book in 1971, John Joe McCusker attempted
to find a person in the area who knew the words to an old local
song that he had heard about Father Clark. The only person
that he found who knew the words to the song was Tommy Tinneny,
the father of Peggy Tinneny McKenna, who was living in the
townland of Cullion in Newtownbutler. Had it not been for
Tommy, the words to the song about the much-revered Father
Clarke would have been lost forever. Tommy remembered the
song as follows:
on all you gallant Irishmen attend both one
hope you pay attention since on you I do call.
of a simple eulogy onto a martyr due,
a Newtownbutler clergyman is always just and
parish priest of no small zeal was forced by
law to flee,
leave his flock and parish and cross the
Mary's flight to Egypt sure he was forced to
rolling seas and boundless waves where stormy
winds do blow.
civil pardon was obtained all by a worthy man,
for every cause of Prudence, right firmly did
he arise on the last day some happy visions
Father Clarke by his right-hand his advocate
John and Fr. Stark could not refrain from
they learned the sudden exit of one of them so
hundreds of our Irishmen marched with him to
the Albert Steamboat there did wait to take
him far away.
solid engines did their work revolving night
Father Clarke on board of her she split the
he arrived back home in Ireland a welcome he
the clergy and the laity as you can plainly
ecstasy they greeted him on his returning
they knew he was a pillar in the Holy Church
joy-bells of our chapel harmoniously did
see him dressed in Christ's blessed robes all
in his seamless gown.
Chalice of Salvation with his blessed hands
that spotless Host he left again once more
before their eyes.
sons of brave Hibernia for ever should be
the Reverend Mr. Thornhill for what he helped
health unto the men who won, and all Crom's
bravely fight to make our land a nation once
for noble Erne who truly backed the cause;
cheers for valiant Goodwin, is worthy of
his Religious Pastor he exercised his skill.
brought him back unto his flock from far
beyond the hills.
courtesy of Peggy Tinneny McKenna.
After the departure of Fr. Clarke, the Bishop of Clogher, the
Most Reverend Doctor Charles McAnally, appointed Father Patrick
Trainer as administrator of the parish. Father Traynor
started renovations on the church in 1858. As part of the
project, John Donegan, a Dublin jeweler and native of the
parish, donated a bell which bears his name. The expensive
bell was brought from Dublin by horse and dray via the main road
that runs through Counties Meath and Cavan. They continued
into County Fermanagh, across the Finn River at Wattlebridge and
finally arrived at Newtownbutler. There were no British
checkpoints in those days between County Fermanagh and County
Cavan as there were when I visited in 1991 and 1994.
Traynor built a tower to house the bell and when it first rang a
large group of Orangeman (Protestants) came into the
village. They started a row and threatened to pull the
bell down. In response to a call from the local Royal
Irish Constabulary, a detachment of British Lancers, who were
billeted in the garrison in Belturbet, were dispatched to
Newtownbutler where they engaged the Orangemen. In the
ensuing fracas the Orangemen were forced to retreat leaving two
of their number dead by the roadside.
an effort to defuse this dangerous situation, an agreement was
reached between Bishop McNally and the Royal Irish Constabulary
Sergeant in Newtownbutler. The agreement was that the bell
would only be rang prior to the celebration of Mass. As a
result of this compromise made in 1858, the traditional Angelus
bell was not rung in the Catholic Church in Newtownbutler for
the next seventy-eight years. Shortly after his
appointment as parish priest in 1936, Father Tom Maguire decreed
that henceforth the Angelus bell would be rang at 7:30 a.m.,
12:00 noon, and at 6:00 p.m. each day.
1858, when the church was reopened following renovations, it was
dedicated to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. It was
in that year Our Lady appeared many times to a young French
peasant girl, Bernadette Soubirous, at Lourdes, France.
During one of these apparitions Bernadette was heard to quote
Our Lady as saying "I am the Immaculate
Conception." This is how Saint Mary's Church, the
church of our Tinneny ancestors, on Drumquilla Hill,
Newtownbutler, near the shores of Lough Erne, was among the
first in the world to be dedicated to Our lady of the Immaculate
Donegan also donated two silver chalices to Saint Mary's.
The chalices were engraved with the following:
"Presented to the parish of Drumully by John Donegan, 20th
December 1848 Rev. J. Clarke P.P." These chalices
were used in Masses attended by many of our ancestors, including
Big John and his son Yankee Pat. The chalices were still
at Saint Mary's in 1997. There is another even closer connection
of John Donegan, the benefactor of St. Mary's, with several of
the desendents of
Mary Tinneny of Goladuff in that he was
related to Lucy Murray Sherwood, her mother and siblings.